Monday, August 10, 2015

Maker Faire Singapore 2015

Maker Faire Singapore 2015. 
This is one national events that I took part this year and got to know many crafters too.
It was fun and wish that I had more time to do workshop and share my passion.
 
Write up of the events - please see below.
 
Here is some links to the events
 
 

Alice in Crafty-land

Before my interview with Alice, I had checked out her website at www.scottiecrafts.blogspot.com and was totally blown away by her plastic spoon roses craftwork. Later on, I learnt that Alice has come up with the idea herself, and I was so impressed!
These are the roses designed and made by Alice. Do you like them too?
Plastic roses
Joining the Maker Faire
This will be Alice’s first Maker Faire experience, having being introduced by Mr Davy Young who joined us last year and who will also be joining in this year. A warm welcome to Alice!
How she begun
Alice recalled her first craft work to be curtains-making for her mother during her teenage days and making pom-pom ball characters to earn a craft badge during her Girls’ Brigade days.
But her real passion for handicraft started in 2003 when she attended the Perth Royal Show in Australia. She shared with us that it is an annual community event which showcases Western Australia’s agriculture and horticulture, arts and handicrafts, animals, photography, cooking demonstration, performances and competitions. That’s quite a range of activities, isn’t it?
CAM13648
2nd Prize (Cross-Stitch) at Perth Royal Show Creative Craft Competition 2004
Alice took part in the Perth Royal Show Creative Craft Competition in 2004 and 2005 and bagged victories. Her cross-stitched cushion cover featuring Winnie the Pooh and friends won her the 2nd Prize in the first year.
3rd Prize (Parchment card) at Perth Royal Show 2004
3rd Prize (Parchment card) at Perth Royal Show 2004
In the second year, she won 2nd Prize for beading jewellery. She also won 3rd Prize for Parchment Crafts in both years.
Impressive!
Alice told us that the exposure to the wide variety of handicrafts on display at the Perth Royal Show left a deep impression on her and after that, she began to take handicraft lessons and make gifts for family and friends. She even trained in Australia to be a qualified Parchment Teacher, though she only teach for passion and leisure.
Despite having a full-time job as an administrative assistant in the hospitality industry, Alice received full support from her family, boss, colleagues and friends and was often recommended customers. Hence, her weekends are always occupied, either teaching crafts or creating new items. She also shared that it was through crafts that she made many friends in life!
Her craft works
Alice likes to try any crafts which are unique and interesting, and she knows a good variety!
  • parchment
  • cross-stitch
  • beadings
  • greeting cards
  • scrapbooking
  • clay modelling
  • wood painting
  • spoon art
  • upcycling old arts into altered arts (converting desk top calendar into a post-it note pad cover or notebook cover, or cutting wine bottles and turning them into pen or candle holders)
Below were what Alice shared about the two crafts that she will be showcasing at the Maker Faire Singapore in July.
Parchment Craft
“It was at the Perth Royal show that the dolly lace picture frame caught my attention and was told that it was made from vellum paper. With simple tools, it will turn the vellum paper from grey color to white color. Amazed with the fine details on the dolly, I fell in love with parchment crafts. Later on, my teacher – Ms Christine Coppen encouraged me to take part in the Parchment Crafts Competition at the yearly event – Perth Royal Show. With her guidance and coaching, I come in 3rd prize in 2004 and 2005. After that I stop for a long period due to family and work commitments. Only in the recently years I pick up the skills again. I find that Parchment craft is very therapeutic and helps to calm down your mind too. You would not feel tired after working on the card for 2 hrs but a sense of great satisfaction of achievements.”
Photo_Collage_Maker_tTtNpp
It is a beautiful art indeed, and Alice will be demonstrating at the booth on one of the days for visitors to try out. I am sure others will be fascinated just like me!
Everlasting Roses made from disposable spoon
“I personally like roses and always wanted to make it with different materials apart from crepe papers, fabric, ribbon, leather, felts.  So I started my journey of searching online and gather ideas. I learnt the skills by myself through trial and error. Recently I make roses with mini dessert spoons and it is almost a year since I start this craft.
 Every now and then when I have new ideas, I will make the items with the consideration in mind that people would use them rather than a display item only. Or I should call it practical items.”
An awesome and creative idea, and I really love it! Alice will be conducting a 90-minute workshop on both days of the Maker Faire Singapore held at 15 Tampines Street 11 on 11 and 12 July. The workshop will be recommended for adults only. Do watch out for more information on http://makerfairesingapore.com







Kids learning how to make their own Clay cupcakes.







Spoon art workshop in progress. Learn how to make your own flower with disposable spoons
 












 
 
 














 

No comments:

Post a Comment